Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tampuhan by Luna

The painting was by Luna. I saw it on a magazine many moons ago while I was in the hospital after giving birth to a son and fell so very much in love with it. I knew that never in a million years would I ever own such kind of painting. However, years later, this son reproduced it for me in oil on canvass. Now, this painting adorns a wall of my room. Somehow, it can be said that I own a "bit" of Luna, albeit a reproduction, even in the privacy of my home.

Just like memories of days gone by. Of the Fifties. The Sixties. So far away noone cares anymore, not the youth of today.

I remember caring for the times of my parents - their lives, their courtship, their romance and how people lived then - BUT only after they were gone and I could not talk to them anymore. Somehow, I don't want this to happen to my children and to all the children and grandchildren of my generation when they find themselves interested in the "good, old days".

I want them to have a glimpse of what we were. The mores, customs, traditions, way of life, idiosyncracies, biases and prejudices, the joys and heartaches of our times, so very different from today's. All these reflected on the short stories (and novel) I wrote for Liwayway through the years. Just simple love stories of our times. Realistic, hindi ma-drama, totoong nangyayari, hindi happy ending lagi, but somehow, one can identify and relate with the characters and the places. Really nothing pretentious. Hindi pam-Palanca. Just something to pass the afternoon by, kung wala nang mapanood sa tv. Tulad sa probinsiya noon, makapananghali, si Inang o si Nanay ay magbabasa na ng Liwayway o Bulaklak o Sinagtala na pampalipas ng oras hanggang sa maidlip.

In this blog, from time to time, I will put out such short story. Do give me some feedback. And as I have said at the beginning, ABANGAN !!!

5 comments:

  1. Handang-handa na kaming magbasa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. excited na ako! balang araw gusto ko rin sana makapag-post ng mga nasulat ko. "bullet day..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. woooow! ang tarush! winner ito! sana everyday may bagong entry para may babasahin ako araw-araw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam Plamenco says she wants a reproduction of the same.Talagang classic daw ang painting na ito.When we go to Spain we might find a copy at the Museo del Prado where some of Juan Luna's paintings are on display.We are looking forward to reading your stories in Liwayway.Nais din naming mahasa ang aming tagalog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naghihintay, nasasabik at nag-aabang na kami ng susunod pa.

    mon

    ReplyDelete